This recipe reminds me of my mum and of the warmest Sunday lunches at home. Perfect for those who love aubergines but also for those who still have doubts. So, here we go: Imam Bayildi a lá mama
Ingredients (4 portions):
Salt, pepper, olive oil
Sweet red pepper
2 cups fresh tomato juice
A pinch of sugar
2 Tomatoes cut in slices
Prepare the aubergines
1. Preheat a pan
2. Cut the aubergines into two pieces lengthwise. Put some olive oil on each side and put them in the pan, each aubergine 3-4 minutes from each side.
3. Once the aubergines are ready transfer them to a baking pan with their soft side upwards . Add some olive oil on their surface and let them roast while you are preparing the filling.
1. Cut the onions in small slices
2. In the same pan you used before for the aubergines put some olive oil (4 tablespoons) and add the onions.
3. Simmer for some time. Add the salt and the red pepper.
4. As soon as the onions become gold and soft add the tomato sauce and a pinch of sugar
5. Simmer for 5 more minutes and remove from heat
As soon as the onions are ready, you can also take the aubergines out of the oven.
With a spoon press down their inside part so you can make enough room to add the filling.
Fill in the aubergines and on the top place the slices of tomato, so that the onions will not be burnt
Bake for around 20 minutes
Serve with feta cheese, cold beer and fresh bread!